skip to main content

Please review the information below to ensure you follow the correct transfer request procedure. NOTE: Incomplete applications or missing documents may delay the review process or result in a denial. 

What is an Intra & Inter - District Transfer? 

An INTRA-District transfer refers to currently enrolled WUSD students who would like to transfer to a WUSD school other than the one assigned boundary to their home address. Use the school locator map to find the neighborhood school.
An INTER-District transfer is used when families wish to enroll their student(s) in a school district other than the one assigned to their home address. This applies to students trying to transfer into and out of Washington Unified School District (WUSD).  
ALL Transfers are approved and can be revoked on these terms.

Must have and/or maintain: 

  • 95% attendance rate, including arrival and departure times. 
  • 2.0 GPS in grades and/or satisfactory marks TK - 5th grade. 
  • Good behavior, no suspendable offense, expulsions, and/or discipline. 
Transfer Request Information and Forms

Transfer Request Information and Forms

Intra-District Transfer (MOVING WITHIN WUSD)

To begin the Intra-District Transfer process and transfer your student from one school to another school within WUSD, download and complete an Intra-District Transfer Request Form
Intra-District Transfer Frequently Asked Questions (English, Spanish, Russian, Farsi). 
  • No student currently residing within a school's attendance area shall be displaced by an intradistrict transfer student. (EC 35160.5)
  • All students making the first request for an intradistrict transfer must first enroll at their school of residence. Once enrolled, the parent/legal guardian may apply for an intradistrict transfer. Parents/guardians are required to fill out an Intradistrict Form to indicate that they wish to transfer their student to another school and return the form to the Office of Student and Family Support Services at the District Office. Students currently on an intradistrict transfer must submit in writing their intent to continue in the school where they have enrolled. Continuing intradistrict transfer students will be considered before new applicants. However, continuing intradistrict transfer students may be subject to displacement due to excessive enrollment by students residing within a school's attendance area.
  • Intradistrict Transfer Permit (ITP) application priority will be given to students based on the following criteria:  (a) student has a sibling at that school (b) students whose parent/legal guardian is assigned to that school as his/her primary place of employment.
  • Parents/guardians who submit applications will be considered based on available space and the date of application. (First come, first serve basis). If no space is available the student is placed on a waiting list. Transfers are granted as space becomes available up until the winter break of that school year. No transfers will be made after winter break. If your transfer was not granted due to lack of space parents may fill out a new transfer for the upcoming school year.
  • Parents/guardians will be informed by a telephone call when the transfer is granted.
  • Transportation is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to get their student to the requested school.
  • Transfer requests that are approved are with the condition that the Intradistrict Transfer student may be displaced to their school of residence if an incoming resident student enrolls and no space is available.

Inter-District Transfer (COMING TO WUSD)

To begin the Inter-District Transfer process and transfer your student from one school district to another school district.
  • If you live outside of the West Sacramento, Washington Unified School District (WUSD) boundaries, you will need to complete an Interdistrict Transfer Permit (ITP) application
  • Contact your District of Residence to complete the necessary forms. Once your home district approves your transfer, you may submit your district's approved, signed Interdistrict Transfer Application to the WUSD Student Services Department for review and approval.
  • Permit transfers are approved based on space availability at the requested school. This application must be filled out each new school year. 
  • This inter-district transfer agreement must be filled out every year except for parents/guardians who work in West Sacramento. 
  • Once their initial interdistrict transfer agreement has been approved, WUSD becomes your district of residence as long as the parent/guardian works in West Sacramento.
In addition to your Inter-District Transfer Application, please submit: 
  • Your students' most current grades.
  • Your student's record of attendance.
  • Your student's behavior/discipline records from their most recent school.
  • If applicable, your student’s recent Individualized Education Program (IEP).

Inter-District Transfer (LEAVING WUSD)

To begin the Inter-District Transfer process and transfer your student out of WUSD, download and complete the Inter-District Transfer Request Form (ITP)
  • Families may apply for a school outside of WUSD by completing the Inter-district Transfer Permit (ITP) application and emailing a scanned copy to or coming to the Student and Family Support Services Department at 930 Westacre Road to complete an application in person.
  • Inter-district Transfer Permit (ITP) requests may take up to 2 weeks to process.
If you have questions regarding this process call Student Services Department at 916-375-7600
Isabel Mejia                                                          Jennifer Ramirez
ext. 1370                                                               ext. 1369